I figured I’d sit down and quickly add a navigation header to my site just to have it in place, so that I could add links to it later.
After reading over the Bootstrap documentation, I thought it seemed rather straight-forward, so I quickly whipped up a few lines of Jade into a serviceable navigation header with a few link elements in it — one to the homepage and one to the blog portion.
(As a quick side note, I’m really enjoying using Jade, if only for the fact that it helps avoid the pesky problem of forgetting closing div and span tags.)
Satisfied with the look of the navigation header, I resized my browser and the navigation did indeed collapse just like the documentation advertised, and I was pretty pleased with how simple it had all been.
script((src = "/js/bootstrap.min.js")); script((src = "//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.1/jquery.min.js"));
“Simple,” I thought “the precompiled Bootstrap css is right on my server and the jquery is just served by Google’s CDN.”
I carefully reread the documentation, checking each id and plugin name. It seemed okay to me. Next, I searched for a separate source of documentation. I found a few articles and even a youtube video, but it really seemed like I had added the lines properly for the navigation header to work.
script((src = "//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.1/jquery.min.js")); script((src = "/js/bootstrap.min.js"));
And suddenly everything was up and running as it should.
And also maybe don’t work on code when I’m sorely in need of some sleep.